Knitting Patterns by Lyndell

Trousers for Neo Blythes - here
Halter Neck Dress for Neo Blythes - here
Design your own Dress for Neo Blythes - here
Gum-Nut Hat for Neo Blythes - here

Who? What? eh?

This is the blog of a constant crafter - a 'showcase' for some of the things I make, some hints for crafting & recylcing - lots of photos and some words. I hope it will inspire.
Please Note: all photos are Copyright.



Sunday, 26 September 2010

Something Blue

In the last week I've been working with a lot of blue, which is somewhat alarming as I am NOT a blue person at all, at all.

I'm working on putting together a knitting pattern for a pretty lace & beads neck warmer, a button-up collar thing and because the lace stitches I've used are called "little waves" & "fish tales" it conjures up images of mermaids. I wonder if mermaids get cold necks? Anyway - this knitting pattern will fit a young girl 6 to 12 yrs and I'm doing an adult version in 10 - 12ply yarn ... handspun. SO first I must spin the yarn and the first step is to dye some roving in suitably mermaid-ish colours. Like this -Bendigo Woollen Mills' "ReadySpin" dyed with Sandolan primary blue. The green/blue in the back corner had 1 teaspoon of Landscapes "Kelp" added. As there was still some colour left in the pot and I don't like to waste all those chemicals, I put in another 200g of roving which come out a soft sage green - very gum-leaf.


The other very blue project is a very Over The Top dress-up outfit for little granddaughter. Now when my daughter was about the same age her daughter is now, I made her a dress-up outfit inspired by an illustration in a book of Nursery Rhymes ... here she is - what a little moppet!

Yes, she is wearing sandals and socks (the cheapest footwear available at the time) that apricot floral polyester came from upstairs at Coles Variety store in Sydney's CBD ... what a wonderful shop that was! The cream lace was a gift from a lovely neighbour. I didn't own a sewing machine back then - that frock is all hand stitched, I still have it and can't bear to part with it so I've made a new outfit for my moppet's little moppet. This time lots of machine stitching - some quite visible :-)
Difficult to get a decent photo without a little body in it. Apart from the visible machine stitches this one is slightly more "historically accurate" - square neck-line (trimmed with elaborate lace) and very 18thC sleeves, elbow length, pleats at the top of the sleeve head & "engageants" (aka those circular frills).


And the cap is a whole lot smaller -






Had a lot of fun sewing this outfit - using lots of stuff out of stash - that electric blue embossed poly fabric has been hanging about since the 1980's! I hope little one gets some fun from wearing it and being a Princess!

No comments:

Post a Comment